Ryan & Wetmore, PC
Junior Staff Accountant
Who We Are
Ryan & Wetmore is a full-service accounting, tax, and management consulting firm, servicing the Metropolitan Washington, DC, area since 1988. We provide a proactive approach with our clients and staff in our traditional and non-traditional consulting services.
We work hard to earn our clients’ confidence by encouraging open communication year-round. Through our numerous consulting engagements, we have become trusted business advisors. We do this by balancing our objectives of keeping an unbiased perspective and being our clients’ advocate. This approach has enabled us to help clients become more efficient, more competitive, and, therefore, more profitable.
Our employees are given the autonomy and trust to work on deadline-driven client deliverables independently while sharing close relationships with their supervisors. At Ryan & Wetmore, we believe that we can only be our greatest if our team is equipped with the best tools, content with their work environment, and energized to excel.
About The Role
Ryan & Wetmore is looking for a Junior Staff Accountant. The Jr. Staff Accountant will need to communicate directly with clients—assisting them in a wide range of issues such as tax research, planning, compliance, and more. This role requires strong communication and technical skills. The Jr. Staff Accountant needs to meet client expectations, while working individually and on a team.
- Assist with advising clients on a wide range of corporate and federal tax issues, various duties to include tax research and planning, compliance, consulting, and business transaction structuring services.
- Meet client service expectations through adhering to time budgets and maintaining positive client communications
- Assist on attestation engagements including audits, reviews, and compilations.
- Assist in test work procedures over various financial statement areas including cash, receivables, inventory, fixed assets, payroll, expense analysis, trial balance and financial statement preparation.
- Demonstrate good work paper techniques and understanding of the objectives of work papers.
- Communicate with engagement manager, partner, and client to discuss tax accounting matters
- Begin to identify and communicate accounting and auditing matters to the engagement team
- Gain an understanding of Firm policies, procedures, and professional standards through observation and inquiry and adheres to them.
- Demonstrate positive attitude towards Firm and profession.
- Represent the Firm in a favorable and professional manner.
- Develop initiative, interpersonal skills, and practical application of technical knowledge.
- Perform other related duties assigned by immediate supervisor and other Firm management as required.
- Confidentiality of Firm and client information is critical.
- Current enrollment in a graduate accounting program at an accredited university with a plan to complete 150 credit hours & take the CPA exam
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Math, Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, Economics, or other related degrees
- Availability to work 25 hours per week
- Maintenance of a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A positive attitude and outstanding work ethic
- Participate in extracurricular activities and demonstrate leadership abilities
- Competitive Salary
- 401(k) Plan
- Parking Reimbursement
- SmartBenefits® Program
- 6 Paid Holidays Annually
- Training In-House and through the AICPA, MACPA, VSCPA, GWSCPA
- Paid time off
- Open work environment & great coworkers
- Flexible hours while you finish your graduate program
Frequently asked questions:
Currently, we offer Accounting Internship and Marketing Internship positions, however always be on the lookout for additional opportunities.
Internship contracts start with a 3-month (semester-long) commitment, however, can be extended for candidates who express interest. Many interns choose to stay on as interns until they graduate from their undergraduate degree, and move into Jr. Staff or Staff Accountant positions.
When you become an intern at R&W we will ask for your availability. Our goal is to make it a flexible opportunity for you that surrounds your school and extracurricular schedule. Our core hours are Monday-Friday 9 AM-4 PM, so generally, there will be overlap with these times.
Internships generally align with university semester schedules (Fall, Spring, and Summer start dates). However, these dates can be flexible to match your needs!
Internship placements can be based out of our 3 office locations; Bethesda, MD, Frederick, MD, and Vienna, VA.
Interns generally work between 25-29 hours per week. Your hours might look different if you have a midterm, final, or soccer game coming up. We are here to support you at school and in the office.
Assistance, mentorship, career pathway into accounting (Accounting Intern -> Jr. Staff Accountant -> Staff Accountant), networking, opportunities, software training, Invitations to lunch with great coworkers, and free coffee in the office