Ryan & Wetmore, PC
Ryan & Wetmore is a full-service accounting, tax, and management consulting firm, servicing the Metropolitan Washington, DC, area since 1988. We provide a proactive approach with our clients and staff in our traditional and non-traditional consulting services.
We work hard to earn our clients’ confidence by encouraging open communication year-round. Through our numerous consulting engagements, we have become trusted business advisors. We do this by balancing our objectives of keeping an unbiased perspective and being our clients’ advocate. This approach has enabled us to help clients become more efficient, more competitive, and, therefore, more profitable.
Our employees are given the autonomy and trust to work on deadline-driven client deliverables independently while sharing close relationships with their supervisors. At Ryan & Wetmore, we believe that we can only be our greatest if our team is equipped with the best tools, content with their work environment, and energized to excel.
About The Role
Ryan & Wetmore, PC is looking for an Accounting Intern. Here you will receive learning opportunities through job shadowing, direct work experience, and system and software training. We strive to provide the most meaningful and practical experience for you. As a result, we work with you to develop both personally and professionally to tailor the internship experience to your specific goals. Everyone at the firm will be available to guide and assist you throughout your internship experience.
Learning & Development
- Systems Training—develop your skills through training in the IT systems and accounting software, tax return preparation, R&W audit approach, research, and timekeeping. Interns will participate regularly in offered trainings and learning opportunities.
- Ambassador—Acts as a representative of R&W during recruitment efforts, especially at school of graduation; acts as a liaison between the students and firm, makes announcements at school, posts information on social media, and attends career fairs.
- Administrative Tasks—Scans tax information as it comes in following Ryan and Wetmore process, prepares work papers, and assists staff on A&A engagements, performs administrative tasks as needed
- Ethics—Confidentiality of Firm and client information is critical.
Accounting & Research
- Accounting & Reporting—Performing substantive tests and tests of internal controls to identify and resolve issues. Drafting financial statements under prescribed formats, preparing federal and state & local tax returns, and understanding tax regulations and accounting pronouncements
- Research—Conducts research for the firm as requested, Completing tax planning and research
- Understanding clients’ needs and expectations, their business and industry, accounting and control systems, employees, company values and industry-related GAAP and GAAS issues.
- Promptly notifies partners and staff of any client inquiries and requests
- Assessing risks and evaluating the client’s internal control structure.
- Student in accounting or related field
- A minimum 3.0 GPA is required
- Be a junior or senior level undergraduate or graduate student in accounting
- 90 credit hours completed and working towards B.A. / B.S. degree or equivalent from accredited university
- Basic understanding of accounting related terms and practices such as, the concept of billable hours, client confidentiality and professional ethics (AICPA & state societies)
- Basic research skills and abilities
- Time-Management—can complete tasks, timesheets, and attend to work in a timely manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A positive attitude and outstanding work ethic
- Have a desire to obtain a CPA license
- Willing to be part of a fun, hardworking and positive firm culture
- Ability to work remotely and at 1 of the 3 office locations: Bethesda, MD, Frederick, MD, and Vienna, VA
- Related work or internship experience in accounting and/or client-facing roles
- Paid internship, bi-weekly
- Flexible part-time schedule and location placement to suit your university schedule and internship experience
- Opportunities to network and be on track for a career with R&W
- Invitations to events and luncheons put on by the office
Frequently asked questions:
Currently, we offer Accounting Internship and Marketing Internship positions, however always be on the lookout for additional opportunities.
Internship contracts start with a 3-month (semester-long) commitment, however, can be extended for candidates who express interest. Many interns choose to stay on as interns until they graduate from their undergraduate degree, and move into Jr. Staff or Staff Accountant positions.
When you become an intern at R&W we will ask for your availability. Our goal is to make it a flexible opportunity for you that surrounds your school and extracurricular schedule. Our core hours are Monday-Friday 9 AM-4 PM, so generally, there will be overlap with these times.
Internships generally align with university semester schedules (Fall, Spring, and Summer start dates). However, these dates can be flexible to match your needs!
Internship placements can be based out of our 3 office locations; Bethesda, MD, Frederick, MD, and Vienna, VA.
Interns generally work between 25-29 hours per week. Your hours might look different if you have a midterm, final, or soccer game coming up. We are here to support you at school and in the office.
Assistance, mentorship, career pathway into accounting (Accounting Intern -> Jr. Staff Accountant -> Staff Accountant), networking, opportunities, software training, Invitations to lunch with great coworkers, and free coffee in the office