Ryan & Wetmore, PC
Who We Are
Ryan & Wetmore is a full-service accounting, tax, and management consulting firm, servicing the Metropolitan Washington, DC, area since 1988. We provide a proactive approach with our clients and staff in our traditional and non-traditional consulting services.
We work hard to earn our clients’ confidence by encouraging open communication year-round. Through our numerous consulting engagements, we have become trusted business advisors. We do this by balancing our objectives of keeping an unbiased perspective and being our clients’ advocate. This approach has enabled us to help clients become more efficient, more competitive, and, therefore, more profitable.
Our employees are given the autonomy and trust to work on deadline-driven client deliverables independently while sharing close relationships with their supervisors. At Ryan & Wetmore, we believe that we can only be our greatest if our team is equipped with the best tools, content with their work environment, and energized to excel.
About The Role
- Advise clients on a wide range of corporate and federal tax issues, various duties to include tax research and planning, compliance, consulting, and business transaction structuring services.
- Communicate with clients to discuss tax accounting matters
- Meet client service expectations through adhering to time budgets and maintaining positive client communications
- Deliver highest level of customer service to clients, including those at the executive level
- Communicate with client personnel in order to identify and assess existing client accounting processes, internal controls, and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Perform audit procedures, over cash, A/R, inventories property and equipment, prepaid, A/P, accrued expenses, debt and general income statement accounts in client financial statements and propose adjusting journal entries when needed.
- Review accounting transactions and consider appropriate application of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare financial statement footnotes (on areas audited) and internal control observations and recommendations.
- Research fundamental issues using online tools.
- Perform other duties as needed on engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel
- Gain an understanding of Firm policies, procedures, and professional standards through observation and inquiry and adheres to them.
- Demonstrate positive attitude towards Firm and profession.
- Represent the Firm in a favorable and professional manner.
- Develop initiative, interpersonal skills, and practical application of technical knowledge.
- Perform other related duties assigned by immediate supervisor and other Firm management as required.
- Confidentiality of Firm and client information is critical.
- 0-3 years of experience (Previous hands-on public accounting internship experience is preferred)
- CPA certified or the eligibility to work toward obtaining a CPA license
- Meets the minimum requirements for the CPA exam (e.g., 150 credit hours) before start date of employment
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 150 credits
- 3.0 cumulative GPA strongly preferred with equal or stronger performance in your major
- Participate in extracurricular activities or prior job experience and demonstration of leadership abilities
- Sharp analytical skills enhanced by a commitment to professional development
- Desire to work closely with Partners and clients to provide exceptional service
- Excellent project management, analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to function in a team environment and to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Integrity, dependability, and trustworthiness.
- Strong skills with general office use software and an ability to adapt to new software applications
- Proficient with personal computers and spreadsheet software programs.
- Frequent same day travel for work at clients’ offices using a personal vehicle.
- Able to work moderate overtime throughout the year with heavier overtime required during certain business cycles.
- Competitive Salary
- Health, Dental & Life Insurance
- Prescription Drug Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Dependent Care Plan
- Parking Reimbursement
- SmartBenefits® Program
- 10 Paid Holidays Annually
- 16 days of Paid Time Off – PTO (0-5 years of employment)
- 21 days of Paid Time Off – PTO (over 5 years of employment)
- Training In-House
- Training through the AICPA, MACPA, VSCPA, GWSCPA
- Summer Fridays-Off Program
- Incentive Time Off Plan for Overtime Hours
- Paid Professional Accounting Memberships and Licenses
- Discount Pricing on CPA Exam Study Materials
- Paid Time Off to Take the CPA Exam
- Bonus Upon Passing the CPA Exam
- After Tax Season Firm Trip
Frequently asked questions:
What current placements do you offer?
Currently, we offer Accounting Internship and Marketing Internship positions, however always be on the lookout for additional opportunities.
As an Accounting Intern, what will I do?
As a Marketing Intern, what will I do?
How long do the internships last?
Internship contracts start with a 3-month (semester-long) commitment, however, can be extended for candidates who express interest. Many interns choose to stay on as interns until they graduate from their undergraduate degree, and move into Jr. Staff or Staff Accountant positions.
What will my schedule look like?
When you become an intern at R&W we will ask for your availability. Our goal is to make it a flexible opportunity for you that surrounds your school and extracurricular schedule. Our core hours are Monday-Friday 9 AM-4 PM, so generally, there will be overlap with these times.
When do internships start?
Internships generally align with university semester schedules (Fall, Spring, and Summer start dates). However, these dates can be flexible to match your needs!
Where can I intern?
Internship placements can be based out of our 3 office locations; Bethesda, MD, Frederick, MD, and Vienna, VA.
How many hours will I put in?
Interns generally work between 25-29 hours per week. Your hours might look different if you have a midterm, final, or soccer game coming up. We are here to support you at school and in the office.
What are the benefits of interning at Ryan & Wetmore
Assistance, mentorship, career pathway into accounting (Accounting Intern -> Jr. Staff Accountant -> Staff Accountant), networking, opportunities, software training, Invitations to lunch with great coworkers, and free coffee in the office